Many hearing aids require batteries to function. Changing these small batteries used in hearing aids becomes part of the wearer’s everyday life. Batteries are available at Audio Hearing Aid Service, LLC. We can supply them with new hearing aids and with any repair or testing.
Your hearing aids rely on a consistent power source to keep them functioning optimally. Having the right batteries for your device is critical to ensuring you get the most wear out of your hearing aids. Part of hearing aid maintenance also includes battery care. We will work with you to ensure you are getting the best life and usage out of your hearing aid batteries.
Tips for maximizing battery use
- When buying batteries, make sure they are fresh and packaged are sealed. Dispose of used batteries properly. Each battery comes with a protective seal. Remove this before using and follow any other instructions included with the packaging.
- When not wearing your hearing aid, turn it off or open the battery door. Keep the door open when not in use overnight.
- If you store your hearing aid for an extended period of time, take the battery out completely. You can store it in the protective case for your hearing aids.
- Avoid storing batteries and hearing aids in extreme temperatures as they drain battery power and shorten a battery’s lifespan.
- Remove dead batteries promptly.
- Wait up to a minute before inserting an “air activated” battery after peeling away the protective coating.
Understanding different battery sizes
Just like there are several different styles of hearing aids, there are varying types of batteries. The battery your hearing aid uses will depend on the size of the device, with larger batteries powering the largest devices and smaller ones placed in canal options. Your battery life will depend on different factors like the daily use of your hearing aids and what features you require.
The main types of hearing aid battery by size and color coding include:
- Size 10: Yellow, one of the smaller varieties, used in devices worn in the canal.
- Size 312: Brown, another tiny battery, used in hearing aids worn completely in canal (CIC).
- Size 13: Orange, medium-sized, and used in devices worn in the ear (ITE) and behind the ear (BTE).
- Size 675: Blue, largest overall diameter, used in BTE options.
Our staff is happy to help you find the right battery for your hearing aid and work with you to ensure you understand how to insert and remove them and care for them properly.